XP140 ENGINE+ UPGRADE
CESSNA CARAVAN 208 & GRAND CARAVAN 208B
The real power of an XP140 Engine+ Upgrade is in its ability to improve revenue generation.
INVESTMENT & VALUE
All this performance and value starts with an initial investment, minus the cost of your next overhaul. Other financial factors to consider include:
- Increased revenue generation
- Pratt & Whitney core engine credits up to $50 per hour per engine for every hour remaining to the factory TBO
- Strongest resale value of any engine upgrade on the market
- Nearly every Blackhawk-powered aircraft sold within 500 hours of the upgrade recovered close to or more than the combined investment of the airframe and engines
- TBO increased from 3,600 to 4,000 hours
- Hot section inspection interval increased from 1,800 to 2,000 hours
- Increased rate of climb
- Increased cruise speed
- Lower starting temperatures
- Increased TBO
- Shorter takeoff
- One factory-new Pratt & Whitney Canada (P&WC) PT6A-140 engine (Exchange)
- P&WC new engine warranty 1,000 hours with no calendar limit
- Choice of factory-new propeller and spinner
- Optional New True Blue Power Advanced Lithium-Ion Battery
- Hawkeye digilog smart gauges
- New 40% larger oil cooler
- New 325-Amp Starter Generator
- Globally approved flight manual supplement
- STC paperwork and instructions for continued airworthiness
- P&WC PT6 Line Maintenance Entitlement Training
- Two-year subscription for P&WC engine maintenance/parts manuals
- Blackhawk lifetime customer support guarantee
Frequently Asked Questions
Can my shop do the installation or does Blackhawk have to do the installation?
Blackhawk does not perform installations. Although the installation is basically an engine change and can be done by any Pratt & Whitney Canada certified facility, we have found that you will save time and money if the upgrade is performed by any of our approved installation facilities worldwide. These facilities have the experience to complete the upgrade faster and with the higher exacting quality you demand.
What is the lead time on engines?
Blackhawk orders all engines a year in advance. We can usually deliver within 30-60 days or sooner. Call for timing on the next set of available engines.
Do you offer financing?
Yes. We work with several banks that offer very competitive rates.
How does the Blackhawk XP Engine+ Upgrade affect resale value?
To date, nearly every Blackhawk powered aircraft that has been resold within 500 hours of the upgrade has sold close to or higher than the combined investment of the airframe and engines. Resale value of Blackhawk powered aircraft remains strong in all markets. Many dealers are even speculating on Blackhawk powered aircraft.
How is Blackhawk different from other upgrades or overhaul?
In addition to worldwide product support and product branding, Blackhawk XP Engine+ Upgrades offer the following benefits:
- Listings in Jetnet, AMSTAT, Aircraft Bluebook, and Vref
- Worldwide market acceptance with the largest installed fleet of upgraded corporate size turboprop aircraft in the world
- Full customer support department with on-staff technical support technician, customer service representative, and worldwide distribution and service center network
- The Blackhawk Owner’s Group
- The strongest resale value of any engine upgrade on the market
- Approval by the FAA (United States), EASA (Europe), DGAC (Brazil)
Can I put my airplane on charter?
Yes. In fact, many charter companies prefer operating aircraft upgraded with a Blackhawk XP Engine+ Upgrade because they are able to operate out of shorter, higher, and hotter runways.
Can I keep my core engine?
Since the upgrade price already reflects the value of the cores, you can keep your core engine if you are willing to pay Pratt & Whitney Canada for the core. Prices will depend on core engine times.
My engines still have time left to TBO, so should I wait until engines are due for an overhaul?
Pratt & Whitney Canada (PW&C) offers an engine credit for every hour remaining to the factory TBO. To qualify, the core engine must have enough cycles on the life-limited components to make TBO and all records supporting the component times and cycles must be present and submitted. Waiting until TBO risks the possibility of a core engine problem, resulting in additional core charges from PW&C. Also, prices from P&WC increase every year, so waiting two or three years would mean a higher investment without any of the time-remaining credit.
How does an upgrade compare to buying a newer aircraft?
Blackhawk offers transformative performance without the risks of buying new: Will you be able to sell your aircraft for the value you expect? Will there be unexpected costs to acquire your new aircraft? Will there be unexpected issues not uncovered by the pre-buy? Upgrading with Blackhawk eliminates uncertainty and the transactional costs of buying another aircraft while transforming the performance and utility of the aircraft you know best.
If I upgrade, does it make sense to wait until my next overhaul?
Why wait to start enjoying the many benefits of an upgrade? Save money on every mission you fly, increase the capability of your aircraft, and take advantage of generous core credits for time remaining. Over half of Blackhawk’s customers upgrade with more than 500 hours remaining.
From real XP140 (Caravan) owners and operators
“I really have no words to express how happy we are. This is how the Caravan 208 should have come from the factory. Takeoff distance, climb performance, cruise speed, and if needed reverse for short distance landing. All better than expected. The safety issue with an amazing rate of climb, even at extreme temperatures, when heavy from remote bush strips gives you confidence in case of an emergency. It will be difficult for a pilot to fly the good old Caravan with the standard engine once he flies the Blackhawk conversion.”
“The airplane is performing great…….and the pilots are enjoying the performance of the aircraft, adds a great deal of safety margin when traversing the Brooks Range.”
“We have upgraded four out of five caravans and the kit has just arrived for the fifth. The obvious benefits are performance as well as the saving of airframe and engine hours. Slightly less obvious is the saving of crew flight and duty time. Blackhawk has good reputation for reliable products and good backup. We are very happy with the upgrades.”
“This mod is amazing!! The new -140 is pretty incredible. I wanted to thank you for working with us on this project and I really appreciate Blackhawk and their professionalism. We just got back from a test flight and took the plane to 22,000 feet in 23 minutes.”
“We are very exited as last Saturday we flew 22 loads! We could have flown 4 more loads but had to stop activities because of thunderstorms. Our prior record was set at a maximum of 16 loads per day. We can already feel much more power, less consumption, and shorter climb times. Only descent times are longer as the prop is bigger. We are very happy with the result, especially the skydivers. They really could feel the difference so we hope with these results we will be more attractive in the future, which will makes us grow as the main drop zone in Argentina!”
We are super happy with the performance of our Caravan on the Wipline 8000 Amphibian floats here in the mountain lakes of Northern B.C. If you need a reference, please do not hesitate to use Liard Air and Northern Rockies Lodge as a customer contact.
Schedule a free call with one of Blackhawk’s performance upgrade experts to learn how you can boost your Caravan’s revenue generation capability.