VY ENGINE+ UPGRADE
CESSNA CARAVAN 208 & GRAND CARAVAN 208B
Blackhawk XP42A Caravan – A Drop Zome Perspective
Skydive San Marcos shares a drop zone perspective of the Blackhawk XP42A Engine+ upgrade for Caravan.
The real power of an Vy Engine+ Upgrade is in its ability to generate jet-like speeds at King Air costs and utility.
WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH ALL THAT POWER?
You’ll get a lot more horsepower with brand-new
PT6A-42A engines. But it’s what you do with that
power that makes all the difference.
- Carry more
- Improved climb
- Faster speeds
- Better safety margin
- Easier takeoff from shorter and unimproved runways
INVESTMENT & VALUE
All this performance and value starts with an initial investment, minus the cost of your next overhaul. Other financial factors to consider include:
- Increased revenue generation
- Pratt & Whitney core engine credits up to $50 per hour per engine for every hour remaining to the factory TBO
- Strongest resale value of any engine upgrade on the market
- Nearly every Blackhawk-powered aircraft sold within 500 hours of the upgrade recovered close to or more than the combined investment of the airframe and engines
- More power to takeoff from short unimproved and remote runways
- Increased rate of climb
- Increased cruise speed
- Greater payload and mission capability
- Greater safety margins
- Improved resale value
- Optimized AC intake significantly lowers cabin temperature
- One Factory-New Pratt & Whitney Canada (P&WC) PT6A-42A Engines (Exchange)
- P&WC enhanced new engine warranty 2,500 hours/5 years with prorated coverage to the 3,600-hour TBO
- Choice of Factory-New Propeller and Spinner
- Choice of Factory-New Exhaust Stacks
- New Carbon-Fiber Composite Cowling and High-Efficiency Inlet
- Optional New True Blue Power Advanced Lithium-Ion Battery
- Optional: Hawkeye digilog smart gauges
- New 40% Larger Oil Cooler
- Newly Designed Engine Bleed Valve Ducting System
- Optimized AC Intake
- Optional 325-Amp Starter Generator
- Globally Approved Flight Manual Supplement
- STC Paperwork and Instructions for Continued Airworthiness
- P&WC PT6 Line Maintenance Entitlement Training
- Two-Year Subscription for P&WC Engine Maintenance/Parts Manuals
- Blackhawk Lifetime Customer Support Guarantee
Frequently Asked Questions
Can my shop do the installation or does Blackhawk have to do the installation?
Blackhawk does not perform installations. Although the installation is basically an engine change and can be done by any Pratt & Whitney Canada certified facility, we have found that you will save time and money if the upgrade is performed by any of our approved installation facilities worldwide. These facilities have the experience to complete the upgrade faster and with the higher exacting quality you demand.
What is the lead time on engine(s)?
Blackhawk orders all engines a year in advance. We can usually deliver within 30-60 days or sooner. Call for timing on the next set of available engines.
Do you offer financing?
Yes. We work with several banks that offer very competitive rates.
How does the Blackhawk XP Engine+ Upgrade affect resale value?
To date, nearly every Blackhawk powered aircraft that has been resold within 500 hours of the upgrade has sold close to or higher than the combined investment of the airframe and engine(s). Resale value of Blackhawk powered aircraft remains strong in all markets. Many dealers are even speculating on Blackhawk powered aircraft.
How is Blackhawk different from other upgrades or overhaul?
In addition to worldwide product support and product branding, Blackhawk XP Engine+ Upgrades offer the following benefits:
- Listings in Jetnet, AMSTAT, Aircraft Bluebook, and Vref
- Worldwide market acceptance with the largest installed fleet of upgraded corporate size turboprop aircraft in the world
- Full customer support department with on-staff technical support technician, customer service representative, and worldwide distribution and service center network
- The Blackhawk Owner’s Group
- The strongest resale value of any engine upgrade on the market
- Approval by the FAA (United States), EASA (Europe), DGAC (Brazil)
Can I put my airplane on charter?
Yes. In fact, many charter companies prefer operating aircraft upgraded with a Blackhawk XP Engine+ Upgrade because they are able to operate out of shorter, higher, and hotter runways.
Can I keep my core engine?
Since the upgrade price already reflects the value of the cores, you can keep your core engine if you are willing to pay Pratt & Whitney Canada for the core. Prices will depend on core engine times.
My engine(s) still have time left to TBO, so should I wait until engines are due for an overhaul?
Pratt & Whitney Canada (PW&C) offers an engine credit for every hour remaining to the factory TBO. To qualify, the core engine must have enough cycles on the life-limited components to make TBO and all records supporting the component times and cycles must be present and submitted. Waiting until TBO risks the possibility of a core engine problem, resulting in additional core charges from PW&C. Also, prices from P&WC increase every year, so waiting two or three years would mean a higher investment without any of the time-remaining credit.
How does an upgrade compare to buying a newer aircraft?
Blackhawk offers transformative performance without the risks of buying new: Will you be able to sell your aircraft for the value you expect? Will there be unexpected costs to acquire your new aircraft? Will there be unexpected issues not uncovered by the pre-buy? Upgrading with Blackhawk eliminates uncertainty and the transactional costs of buying another aircraft while transforming the performance and utility of the aircraft you know best.
If I upgrade, does it make sense to wait until my next overhaul?
Why wait to start enjoying the many benefits of an upgrade? Save money on every mission you fly, increase the capability of your aircraft, and take advantage of generous core credits for time remaining. Over half of Blackhawk’s customers upgrade with more than 500 hours remaining.
But won’t I burn more fuel?
Yes, the fuel burn is greater at equal altitude. However, taking advantage of the increased climb performance and higher cruise speeds significantly narrows or eliminates the increase in fuel consumption. Also, utilizing the increased climb and cruise performance will reduce block times and deliver a significant reduction in overall operating costs. Typically, any increase in fuel cost will be offset by a larger reduction in direct operating costs. We’ve done the math, it pays to fly faster!
Won’t an upgrade cost more than an overhaul?
Yes, you’ll spend more on an upgrade than an overhaul, but you’ll have so much more to show for it: increased earning ability, better resale value, enhanced safety, reduced operating costs and a better flying experience.
From real Vy (Caravan) owners and operators
The Caravan is a great machine and the Blackhawk upgrade just makes it so much better. We operate in a mountainous area of the country and the ability to quickly climb to altitude is important. The higher cruise speed means more efficient delivery of loads and more trips in a day.
Your engine really has completely changed the Cessna Caravan. It should have had this much power all along, as it completely changes what one is able to do with the aircraft. Most of our strips here in East Africa are short, at high altitude, and have trees or mountains very nearby.
We can go higher with no noticeable increase in fuel use, carry 20 passengers instead of 18 with our increased useful load, and fly 22 loads a day instead of 12 because of the climb rate.
I used to be able to take 2.5 loads an hour – now I can take 4. That’s a dramatic change for the better. On one flight we took 16 people to 16,000 feet in 13 minutes, an impressive achievement!
I’m very happy with the Blackhawk upgrade. Horsepower will cost you money, but the significant improvement in performance is worth every penny. I’m a PT6A guy and it just got better switching to the 42A.
At Alkan Air, we are always searching for a more safe and efficient way to serve our clients. The Blackhawk Caravan engine upgrade is the next logical step in the evolution of the capable 208B Caravan. Our customers ask for the Caravan year in and year out because of its payload and reliability.
Schedule a free call with one of Blackhawk’s performance upgrade experts to learn how your Caravan can exponentially multiply its revenue generation.